Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Home Hair Coloring - grey hair?




Daisy


I have had grey hair since I was about 16 years old. Now at 35 I have a good deal of it and I have been dying my hair ever since that age; both at home and at the salon. My hair color is dark brown and I usually choose something in the medium golden brown range - so that it doesn't look too dark once dyed. The problem I have is that I find that even with so called home "permanet dyes" I have had the color disapear on the grays in a couple of weeks or even less (sometimes even right away!). Since I really can't afford to dye my hair at the salon all the time anymore, I would really prefer to do it myself. Does anyone have any advice either about which product covers the best or any tips to making the dye cover the grey better?


Answer
Gray hair is difficult to color because the cuticle of the hair shaft is so tight, also gray is usually coarse, which makes it more difficult as well.
You need to use the right products, so that the tint will be deposited into your hair. I love Redken, Matrix and Chi colors but they are not usually sold to the general public. If you have a Sally's they do carry tints that will work for you. I believe they carry Clairol and Loreal and both have lines especially formulated for stubborn gray hair. I don't know the names because I have not used them for years, but the clerk working there will be able to show you those. Next you need to use a 10 volume peroxide (peroxide is the chemical that activates the tint) You need to use a 10 volume peroxide so it will lift the cuticle and deposit the color. 20,30 and 40 volume peroxides are used to lift color, so only use the stronger peroxides if you decide to go lighter, than the gray.
Mix equal parts tint with peroxide. Most tints are sold in 2 ounce bottles, (if your hair is thick you will have to use the entire bottle.) so mix the entire bottle with 2 ounces of peroxide. Tint applicator bottles have measurements on the side. For your first application, because you still have so much gray, I would apply the tint and comb it through your hair. Place a plastic processing cap (also available at Sally's) and process for 25 minutes. Test the color by wiping the tint off of a small lock of hair and see if has completely covered the gray. Hold the lock of hair up to a white paper towel, so you can see the color well. If not covered process for 5 additional minutes. Any future tints you need to apply just to the roots, process for 15 minutes, then comb the tint through the rest of your hair and process for the remaining 10 minutes. Do not apply tint everywhere every time or you will end up with a nasty build up, where your roots will be lighter than the rest of your hair.
Also make sure you are using shampoo, conditioner and styling products formulated for tinted hair. By using the right product it can add life to your tint and your hair color won't fade as fast. If you use other products you will be washing your tint, right down the drain. Rinse the conditioner from your hair with warm water, then rinse with the coldest water you can stand. This will force the cuticle down and will help seal in the moisture and the color.
Beauty schools charge far less, you will be in the chair longer because the work is done by students, but every process is supervised by licensed cosmetologists. If you decide tinting at home becomes too difficult, beauty schools are a great option. And some beauty schools use the better products.
Good Luck, I hope this helps you to finally cover your gray.

Can anyone tell me what the best store bought hair colour is for covering grey hair?




Chewie


I'm only 27, but because I took after my dad, I started to get grey hair at a young age (a few here and there).

I find that most hair colour doesn't cover grey hair for very long.



Answer
First to clear up one fact is that your hair doesn't turn Grey. It starts losing color pigmentation. When that happens the individual hair will become flatter in circumference. Each color inside a hair has different size color molecules. When you add color, the molecules in that color will attach itself to the one inside the hair. Gray lacking in molecules, has no ability to hold onto the color molecules, permanently. You can help it by adding a filler first. You can get a clear filler and apply it first to dry hair and let it dry. Then add the color. You can get a bottle of filler from your favorite beauty salon, or have them apply it the day before you color. The filler has a different molecule structure that will grab hold of the gray, and then the color molecules will attach to the them, giving more holding power. Not sure which color is best to buy. That depends on if your going for ease, price, or both. Try them and see what works best for you. Good Luck




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

Title Post: Home Hair Coloring - grey hair?
Rating: 100% based on 99998 ratings. 5 user reviews.
Author: Unknown

Thank FOr Coming TO My Blog

No comments:

Post a Comment