Sunday, February 9, 2014

What is the best hair color for covering stubborn gray hair.?




~**badboys


I have medium-dark brown hair with one streak of gray right in the very top of my head. It hadn't bothered me before, I had just accepted it as a normal part of getting old, I'm 35. Well it didn't bother until the other day, my much older sisters (4, ranging in age of 48 to 52 and are also gray headed) were making fun of me just because of one little streak. Kinda hurt my feelings a little. Well, anyhoo, I've decided to start dying it and I would like your opinions of hair coloring products on the market today, what do you think are the best ones to use. Thanks very much.


Answer
I'm only 26 and I've had the same issue for a few years now so don't feel bad. :-) I was told by a colorist in an Aveda salon that a light shade such as blond would obviously help, since you usually can't even spot grey mixed in with blond. The grey would appear to be platinum highlights. However, my hair is dark brown and I'm not willing to damage it again by going blond, plus it's ridiculously expensive to have your roots done every few weeks at the salon. So I tried several SEMI-permanent hair color shades and brands (supposed to last 24 shampoos) that were specifically advertised to cover grey, but even the black one made no different at all on the grey after about 2 shampoos. I wasn't willing to try anything permanent, since I know if I screw things up my hair would end up doubly damaged when I went to the salon to have them correct it. I know one streak can make you very self-conscious, especially since you're only 35 and probably look very young otherwise. Light blond or brown highlights are also an option, but they tend to be even more expensive than all over color. However, the maintenance is less often.

But if you're going to color it, I'd strongly suggest having it professionally done by a colorist who specializes in covering grey- at least the first time. I don't feel comfortable recommending any of the at-home products I used, since none of them were effective for me. I think that's a question best answered by a professional (who isn't trying to sell you something!)

Good luck with whatever you choose!

Can anyone tell me what the best store bought hair colour is for covering grey hair?




Chewie


I'm only 27, but because I took after my dad, I started to get grey hair at a young age (a few here and there).

I find that most hair colour doesn't cover grey hair for very long.



Answer
First to clear up one fact is that your hair doesn't turn Grey. It starts losing color pigmentation. When that happens the individual hair will become flatter in circumference. Each color inside a hair has different size color molecules. When you add color, the molecules in that color will attach itself to the one inside the hair. Gray lacking in molecules, has no ability to hold onto the color molecules, permanently. You can help it by adding a filler first. You can get a clear filler and apply it first to dry hair and let it dry. Then add the color. You can get a bottle of filler from your favorite beauty salon, or have them apply it the day before you color. The filler has a different molecule structure that will grab hold of the gray, and then the color molecules will attach to the them, giving more holding power. Not sure which color is best to buy. That depends on if your going for ease, price, or both. Try them and see what works best for you. Good Luck




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

Title Post: What is the best hair color for covering stubborn gray hair.?
Rating: 100% based on 99998 ratings. 5 user reviews.
Author: Unknown

Thank FOr Coming TO My Blog

No comments:

Post a Comment